No one likes to look at their face or legs and see little blue and purple lines networking across their skin like a road map. These spider veins can cause people to feel embarrassed and uncomfortable in public and some people feel they have to hide them under lots of clothing or makeup before venturing out and about. Unfortunately, millions of people struggle with these annoying spider veins and don’t know where they came from or how to get rid of them. Let’s take a look at what these spider veins are and how we can treat them.
Spider veins are small, damaged veins typically measuring less than 1mm in diameter, and often appearing in clusters. They most frequently appear on the surface of the legs or even the face. Typically, they are not painful or harmful but can be symptomatic or an indicator of deeper venous issues. They are generally more of a visual nuisance than a medical problem, but they may cause an achy or tingling feeling when in the legs.
These are some of the factors that can contribute to the development of spider veins:
- Heredity (legs and face)
- Obesity (predominantly affecting legs)
- Hormonal changes during pregnancy and menopause (in legs or face)
- Standing or sitting for long periods of time (in legs)
Preventing Spider Veins
If you are wanting to be proactive in preventing spider veins, particularly in the legs, you can do the following to improve the flow of blood in your legs.
- Maintain a healthy weight. Since obesity is one of the causes of spider veins, it stands to reason that maintaining a healthy weight will decrease your chance of developing them.
- Get regular physical activity. Prolonged periods of sitting or standing to contribute to the formation of spider veins. To combat this, make sure that you are getting intentional periods of physical activity to keep the blood flowing properly in your legs.
- Do not stand to sit for extended periods of time. If you have a job that requires you to sit for long hours at a desk or behind a steering wheel, take a few minutes each hour to get up and move around. If your job requires you to stand for long stretches of time, be sure to take a few minutes each hour to sit down.
- Elevate your feet. This simple activity is good for the blood flow in your legs and with your feet elevated, gravity helps your body get that blood flowing back up to your heart more easily than when you are standing and the pull of gravity works against your veins.
What Treatments Reduce the Appearance of Spider Veins?
We have two methods of spider vein treatment here at Skinatomy Laser Clinic. Our treatments include:
Spider Veins Consultations Available
The IPL Photo Facial, also known as IPL Photo Rejuvenation is an Intense Pulsed Light treatment used to create a smoother and more even skin tone. In addition to eliminating spider veins, This treatment can also reduce the appearance of scarring, enlarged pores, and blemishes.
It works when the light energy penetrates the tissue targeting the veins without damaging the cells around it. The targeted veins absorb the energy, the energy turns into heat, and the heat destroys the veins. The body’s own natural processes then remove the injured cells from the skin leaving clearer skin in its place. An IPL treatment averages 45-60 minutes per session and patients need 3-5 treatments to achieve their desired results. There is no downtime with the IPL Photo Facial treatment.
ND Yag Laser
The ND Yag Treatment treatment gets its name from the neodymium-doped yttrium aluminum garnet crystal that is used in this laser treatment. This infrared laser targets melanin found in the skin and works to break it down so it can be absorbed by your body over time. Most patients need 3-6 treatments which are spaced 2-3 weeks apart to rid their skin of the appearance of spider veins by breaking them down and allowing them to be flushed away by your body’s own natural healing process.
Dr. Sliwowicz gets straight to the point and doesn’t engage in small talk. I really like that. He is very knowledgeable in his field of study. The nurses/estheticians at this clinic are very kind and welcoming as well. Whole area is very sanitary and well-kept.
Take The Next Step
As you can see, we have a number of treatments that may be right in helping you rid your face and legs of spider veins. Are you ready to try our laser treatments? If so, we would love for you to take your next step and call the professionals at Skinatomy Laser Clinic to schedule your complimentary consultation. We can help you choose the treatment that is perfect for you. Fill out the form on this page or call us at (416) 901-9392 (Toronto) or (289) 512-0188 (Mississauga). We look forward to helping you become the best you possible!